Saturday, July 23, 2011

Grassy Mountain


I was driving back from CO and got a message from my buddy Nick that he was passing through town. Perfect timing. He hung out for a couple of days and we headed up Bridger Canyon to ride in the Bangtails (the range on the opposite side of the canyon from the Bridgers). Great ride. We climbed a road for a long time, took some manky semi single track and topped out. Then hold on to your visors - descended for a very long distance on sickety-sick singletrack through BIG trees. The switch backs are built just-so and rocket you out the backside...you can actually lean and steer with your feet and flow through them. I found myself wanting to sit down just to give my calves a rest.

I find myself saying "well, in Colorado we"....fill in the blank..."can ride 100 miles of singletrack right from the doorstep, have sick flowy trails, have a better bike culture, more trail building organizations, etc etc etc". I must annoy everyone around me because I annoy myself. It's not fair to compare. It's just different. In MT you just get a different experience; you have to work much harder for it and sometimes the reward is amazing, flowing trails. Sometimes the reward is a good day with good people exploring a serious backcountry experience. Either way, it's good to be on a bike.

No comments: