Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Day

Labor Day brought a trip to the glitzier side of the Elk Range for Jazz Aspen Snowmass. What the Drive-By Truckers, Doobie Brothers, and Allman Brothers have to do with a jazz fest...well, who cares, it was awesome. I've wanted to see DBT for a long time and have heard legendary tales of their shows. Solid, fun, heartfelt. It's easy to connect with them. They make me want to get up and yell "hell yeah". The Doobie Bro's were flawless. The Doobies have always been imprinted on my subconcsious; seeing them though bought to light that they have more recognizable songs than almost anyone else - and the tightest vocals you'll ever hear live. Their stage presence can be described as joyful. The Allman Brothers had that look that you see on accountants who've sat in the same cubicle for years plugging away at a job that they are confident and competent at but brings them little joy.





We headed into Aspen for some quality shopping...and went straight to the thrift store. I scored an awesome "extreme" one-piece suit, circa 1991; why Johnny didn't get this one - well, he had a momentary lapse in reason.


Off to P-towne for the first visit since my lay-off from the shoe mine. I got to pick 15 pounds of the last peach crop. Rode on the super-secret trails...it was like being on a horse that knew its way home without any input from the reigns. My bike just went and I was along for the ride, in and out of arroyos, flying down ridge lines, and swooping through tight pinyon tree lines. I forgot how much I was in love with those trails and how much they saved me during exile there. Some of the best riding anywhere.

No comments: