Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mountains of Stuff

Piles of gear are everywhere around the cabin. I made it about halfway through my prep-list. Still need to do a solid once-over on both bikes, make oatmeal cookies, and do a bit of food shopping. 48 hours to go!

Did you know that one box of clifbloks contains 3600 calories? Man can not live on clifbloks alone. My grocery list includes Barbara's Bakery natural pop-tarts, boulder canyon potato chips, chicken strips (seriously, I ate 3 before I went out for a ride the other night and they were awesome), honey stinger bars, bananas, oranges, peaches, coca cola, chai, bagels with turkey, hot chocolate, yerba mate, ginger beer, instant oatmeal, ensure, and a bunch of treats for the crew. I need to ingest 300 calories an hour for 12 hours. It's usually pretty easy to do on 3-6 hour rides - a bottle of accelerade and a package of clifbloks or a bar every hour....but then sometimes my stomach doesn't feel good about anything. A friend told me that practicing eating while riding is as important as practicing riding. Sometimes it takes a lot of discipline to get stuff in your stomach and hold it down. It's never happened to me on long rides but the fact is that if you fall behind on calories your race is over. Hopefully no worries there; I love to eat and am hauling a bit of reserve.

Ok, off to sleep.

No comments: