Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Good Ride

A few years back I came to CB to ride for the first time. I pulled in the Visitor Center parking and a couple guys came over to talk and ask where I was riding. They spread a map out on the hood of my car and showed me great places to ride and gave some good advice. This is a very different experience than most mountain towns where locals are fiercely protective of their natural resources, not wanting their trails populated by wankers from the front range. Not so in CB. Information flows freely....except that I think there is some funny business going on with a certain trail. In ride descriptions it's tagged as "too much uphill for the amount of downhill", "filled with black flies", "a muddy slog", "off camber, braided game trails", "littered with cow patties", etc. Locals have told me that it sucks and is not worth doing. Why would I go do it anyway? Skepticism. It was one of the coolest rides and longest downhills I've ever done. Total single track joy. A classic. How do you find it? Look for the swarms of black flies, rotting cow carcasses, neck deep stream crossings, hour long hike-a-bikes, and impassable cliff bands. Don't bother. Go ride Breckenridge.











No comments: