Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hut Trip 2010

A full moon, my 40th birthday, widespread natural avalanches, sunshine, clouds, snow, new friends, old friends, curry, chocolate, bacon and eggs....a great hut trip. 11 came from the Front Side and SumCo. We made a trip to the Gothic town site to the Maroon Hut. The snow was cooked and crusty; slides were coming down on nearly every slope on every aspect, but we managed to find some pockets of gladed goodness to ski where the snow was stable and buttery. The skin in was pretty easy so we loaded down with lots of luxuries and ate like kings. No major mishaps except for Ruth's broken binding for which Mike had a handy fix. I spent the beginning of my 40th year on this earth with some good friends making good turns in a place that makes me very happy. It was a good time and place to reflect. I'm pretty excited about 40. I can sport mismatched socks, wear the same pants two days in a row, get orange juice instead of an $8 martini, and smoke a pipe. I'm twice as fast and can go twice as far as when I was 20. I'm more interested in the question than the answer. My life has history full of adventure and friends. Gauging from the past 40 I'm definitely stoked for the next 40.










No comments: