Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Red Lady Glades



Mt. Emmons sits prominently above CB. From town you can see tracks and slides down the east facing Red Lady bowl. Mt. Emmons' south flank holds Red Lady glades which is a much mellower alternative to the bowl. I got up there for the first time yesterday. The views and terrain are pretty sweet. I was told that the glades hold some nice snow that doesn't get baked in spite of a south facing aspect....well, that's not entirely true. At tree line the snow was sugary but provided a few good turns. The quality definitely dropped off as we lost elevation and soon turned into survival skiing. I don't say this to jump on the tele-bashing band wagon, but I'm really, really glad that I was on AT skis. That blower snow in the video was the broken crust flying up. I think the Red Lady glades are best visited after a storm or when the corn sets up. Still great to be out!



No comments: