Sunday, January 10, 2010

More Art in Paris

I've never been into galleries, so finding the outdoor Photoquai exhibit on The Seine was perfect. There was a lot to digest. Among some powerful political photos I found Mouna Karray. She photographs a subject then inserts herself into the scene to try to replicate the original photo exactly. I was kind of crazy about the idea.


One of the most moving and memorable experiences that I had in Paris was visiting Centre Georges Pompidou, France's national museum of contemporary art. I walked into an exhibit of Pierre Soulages paintings and was nearly floored - in the literal sense. I had to steady myself. It's tough to communicate what he does without seeing his paintings, which are enormous and all black. The combination of black paint and heavy texture captures and reflects light to create purples, yellows, and silvers. The effect is beautiful.

No comments: