Monday, October 6, 2008

Fall Foliage Tour





Ahh. Finally a few minutes to sit down in the comfy chair and write. I had an excellent Fall Foliage Tour. If you follow my reflections on all things Western Slope you've seen pics from previous hut trips. The same group of folks from the hut trip get together every year to rendevous in Crested Butte for what we've dubbed the Fall Foliage Tour. Call us creatures of habit, but rituals develop for a reason. Several things that the FFT involves year after year: intermittent rain, laps on Upper Loop (gets better every lap even after I've done it several dozen times), hobo stew, campfires, meaningful conversation, old friends, new friends, aspen, single track, smoothies, and a new trail (The Dyke Trail this year; maybe Reno/Flag/Bear next year? ) Usually we throw in an epic ride one day but this year we had some walking wounded and took it pretty easy...but I have to feel pretty bad not to ride a bike. It seems like when I talk about all my favorite things around P-Towne it always involves bikes (or food). One thing I knew when I was thinking about moving here was that I'd be within 1.5 hours of epic dirt in CB and 1.5 hours of epic dirt in Fruita. The local singletrack was a complete surprise. Anyway, the point is that knowing that you're moving somewhere that is equidistant and accessible to two of the best places to ride on the planet, and then actually living it out - it's pretty cool.

No comments: