Saturday, March 1, 2008

Habtiuating, Scavengers, Spring, and Shoe Sized Jelly Beans

So much to write about and so little time. I'm internetless at home since moving into a new apartment. Life has changed a bit since moving into town. The place is still fairly empty, but is slowly being populated by random furniture pieces.

Today was pretty amazing. I've been on the road bike fairly consistently now that it's warming up. Today took me out Back River Road to Hotchkiss (the basic spine of various lunch loops) then to Crawford, then Crawford Road back to home. I think I saw about 1 car per mile. Crawford is a trip. A rough around the edges true west kind of place. I saw a little bit of green grass; the irrigation ditches are running full; I saw buds on two cottonwoods. I know we have a bit of a ride before spring truly settles in, but bugs in the teeth, green grass, new calves in the fields, and a short sleeve jersey will make a man feel hope, promise, and freedom. It's supposed to start snowing at midnight, but I think the end is in sight. It's very uncharacteristic for me to be wishing an early death to winter, but this has been a tough one. I still have a hut trip and some 4 pack tickets to burn before it's all said and done, but I'm ready to get on the bike and not look back.

I signed up for the Laramie Enduro. It's July 29. Training started this week. Base miles at a low heart rate, to-go boxes containing half of my dinners, no sweets in the house. Today was my sixth day on the bike since signing up and I finally felt that rush...golden moments of speed and centrifugal force.

I saw a bald eagle today. My first in a while. The most magnificient bullying scavenger/forager around.

On the work front, we got color samples this week. 100 colorways! They look like shoe-sized jelly beans. I love it. I thought I was going to get hyper-tension getting them here on time. The factory had power outages and was 40% staffed because the storms prevented everyone from getting back from Chinese New Year on time. They pulled through though. Usually quality is inversly porportional to speed, but somehow they managed to do both.

So much to say about the transition, books read, furniture shopping, the conversation with the copes, new friends and old, the global economy, rolling 100,000 miles on the Suby, etc. More later. I wanted to get some blog time in before I fall completely out of the habit.

No comments: