Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Going Out; Coming Home





Today was an example of the less glamerous side of my career. It was filled with glorified data-entry and pushing samples around. It was also very long. But it's good to have days like today (although not too often) to remind myself to grab the beautiful little moments. I went on a run at lunch and saw a heron wading in a small unfrozen section of the kids' fishing pond at Volunteer Park. I've always thought that wildlife sightings are God's manifestation of his presence in our lives. I think it goes back to reading the story of Noah's Ark when I was a kid. Noah sent the dove out and it came back with an olive branch, signaling that land was near. The Heron reminded me that hope is always at hand. I ran into a co-worker in the Grocery and we had a rare opportunity to talk about all the changes at work and not have to hide behind the acceptable company answers. To share real thoughts, observations, and concerns...but also to share our hope and our longing for change. It was one of those brief conversations that was pure light. Maybe that's a by-product of living in a small town. There's not much going on so it becomes easier to notice the seemingly small things. Today was the day of small sized big stuff.

No comments: